Cal Poly’s Construction Management 2021-2022 Recruitment Program Instructions
The California Center for Construction Education (CCCE) looks forward to hosting your organization for a Cal Poly Construction Management Department recruitment session this academic year. In this document, you will find essential information regarding presentation and interview rooms, new food protocols, technology accommodations, parking details, and Wi-Fi instructions. By reading this document carefully, you can ensure your company will have a successful recruitment session. If protocols are not followed, we will move our recruiting program virtually to ensure the safety of our students and industry partners.
Please take a moment to carefully review the following instructions and pass this information along to any recruiters from your company who will be participating. Given the COVID-19 Pandemic, certain procedures for recruitment sessions have been changed so that we can keep your recruiters and our faculty and students safe. As of 9/1/2021, it is the CCCE’s intent is to offer in-person recruitment sessions and will follow the university’s guidance regarding safety measures and event guidelines. After reading this document carefully feel free to contact email@example.com with any questions. We are excited to have you back on campus!
- Read through this document carefully and with great detail.
- Confirm the date, time, equipment needed, and location of your recruitment session and single interview space. Make note of the room capacities.
- Confirm ALL recruiter’s names and phone numbers 2-week prior.
- Confirm your interview booking setup is correct, and contact firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP if changes need to be made.
- Place and confirm your food order.
- Determine your preferred parking solution while on campus.
- Review the frequently asked questions.
- Email a PDF of your company flyer at least 1-week prior to your recruitment session (less than 2MB in size).
- Review the helpful tips below for having a successful recruitment session.
- Bring business cards and flyers to leave behind in B202.
While on campus, please make sure to leave any room as you find it and wear a face-covering at all times. We thank you in advance for the continued support of our Construction Management students and department.
Major Changes Due To COVID-19 Pandemic
Face coverings are required at all times for all members of your recruiting team, regardless of vaccination status. Students who attend your event will also be required to wear masks as this is a Cal State requirement. Please ensure to follow the university’s guidance regarding safety measures and event guidelines.
The Construction Management Department is limiting the number of people allowed in rooms based on fire regulations and pandemic protocols. For Info Sessions a max of 45 people will be let into room Bldg. 186-B202. For Meet & Greets, a max of 15 people will be let into room Bldg. 186-A203. Please keep this in mind as you invite recruiters from within your company. The more recruiters whom attend, the less number of students allowed in the room. Doors will be closed once capacity has been met on a first-come, first serve basis. For next-day interviews in Bldg. 186-A211 or Bldg. 186-A213, interview spaces will be limited to one room per host company for one recruiter and one student (2 people max). The CCCE will be offering virtual interview scheduling if requested at least 1-week prior to your scheduled recruitment session.
All food must be ordered as To-Go meals. To reduce the risk of germ transfer, we are asking that food be distributed to students AFTER your recruitment session at @7pm or @12pm or @1pm as they leave the presentation, as “Take-Away Meals.” We prefer that your food choice be individually wrapped and hope that you understand the purpose of this new rule. Detailed information for food ordering/delivery can be found below.
Tips for having a successful Recruitment Session
- Advertise the recruitment session. This can be done using a PDF flyer that will be emailed to the students and through social media such as Linkedin or Instagram (tag @CALPOLYCM). The flyer is used to grab student’s attention and raise interest in recruitment sessions. It should contain information regarding hiring, discussion topics, and possible rewards for students. Tailor the information specific to Cal Poly CM students.
- Outline positions for hiring and locations. This will target students from a particular region.
- Consider prizes. Prizes such as gift cards or company swag/merchandise work well to increase attendance at your company recruitment session.
- Be original. Now, more than ever, it is important for companies to be original and think outside the box when conducting recruitment sessions to increase student participation. Interactive presentations, virtual site tours, interview panels, and discussion topics have shown to be more effective in engaging students.
- Invite recent alumni or interns. It is recommended to reach out to previous years’ interns to speak briefly about their intern experience at recruitment sessions. This is effective because it gives students a unique perspective on their experiences.
Recruitment Session Presentations Set-Up
Use the link below to ensure you have the correct day and time of your recruitment session: https://ccce.calpoly.edu/#calendar
Please arrive at the Construction Management Department’s lobby, Construction Innovations Center (CIC), Building 186-A100, no later than 30-mins prior to your presentation. A CCCE Ambassador will assist you with room set-up. Please make sure to leave the room as you find it.
- Location: Construction Innovations Center, Bldg. 186-B202 (2nd Floor)
- Room Equipment: The presentation room is equipped with a PC computer, overhead projector, screen and zoom streaming capabilities.
- Bring your presentation on an USB Flash Drive for the easiest and most effective way of presenting your material.
- Time: Mondays @ 6pm; Tuesdays @ 6pm; Wednesdays @ 6pm; Thursdays @ 11am or 6pm
- Room Capacity: a max of 45 people
Meet & Greets
- Location: Construction Innovations Center (CIC), Bldg. 186-A203 XL Conference Room (2nd Floor)
- Room Equipment: The presentation room is equipped with a overhead projector.
- Bring a VGA Adapter for this room.
- Time: Tuesdays and Wednesdays @ 11am – 1pm
- Room Capacity: a max of 15 people
The CCCE will aid in scheduling your interviews through Microsoft Bookings. Students will have access to sign up for interviews both before and during your recruitment session. Interviews are set up to be in half-hour intervals the next day from 8:30am – 4:30pm with an hour lunch break from noon-1pm. For next-day interviews in Bldg. 186-A211 or Bldg. 186-A213, interview spaces will be limited to one room per host company for one recruiter and one student (2 people max). The CCCE will be offering virtual interview scheduling if requested at least 1-week prior to your scheduled recruitment session.
Currently, the individual who registered your organization during the registration process is the primary contact. The main contact for your company is set up to host these interviews in person. If that is not the case, email email@example.com immediately with the name of the individual who will be hosting the in-person interview sessions. Please see the following video if you are unfamiliar with bookings.
Students will have access to sign up for interviews through a unique link for your company. 13 interviews can be booked and are set for half-hour intervals the next day from 8:30am – 4:30pm with an hour break from noon-1pm.
Only one interview room with two chairs will be available per host company in the interview space. IF you would like an additional individual to conduct interviews, these will be held in an online format. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately with an additional contact name and email.
- Interviews are held the next day in the Construction Innovation Center, Bldg. 186 in room A213 or A211 from 8:30am – 4:30pm. Please see below for more detailed instructions regarding interview procedures.
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 6pm Info Sessions have next day interviews in A213 from 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Thursdays @ 11am have next day interviews in A211 from 8:30am – 4:30pm.
Meet & Greets
- Interviews are held the next day in the Construction Innovation Center, Bldg 186 in room A211 from 8:30am – 4:30pm.
Career Services has additional interview rooms available for rent. It will be your responsibility to communicate your changed interview space to the students. Career Services can be reached at (805) 756-2501. If your company prefers online interviews or would like to opt-out of next day interviews, please let the CCCE know via email@example.com ASAP. Please stop by the lobby and a CCCE Ambassador or student assistant will set you up in your interview room.
How to Book an Interview Student Resource Video
Food: “Take-Away Meals”
Thank you in advance for feeding our students! You can order food from wherever you like. As stated above, protocols have changed because of COVID-19. We ask food is pre-portioned, individually wrapped, and available to be easily dispersed as students LEAVE your session as “Take-Away Meals.” Please have the food delivered within the 30-mins prior to your presentation. Deliveries sooner than 30-mins are disruptive to our classrooms, faculty, and students. We suggest advertise your food choice in your upcoming recruitment flyer. Please have food delivered to the below location.
1 Grand Ave San Luis Obispo, CA 93410
- FOR INFO SESSIONS: Building 186- Room B202 – 2nd Floor
- FOR MEET & GREETS: Building 186- Room A203 XL Conference Room – 2nd Floor
Parking can be a challenge on campus. We strongly recommend parking in the Grand Avenue Parking Structure, Uber or Lyft and to allow 20-30 mins when scheduling for the following alternative options.
Daytime visitors may utilize limited timed parking areas or parking meters throughout the various campus parking lots. We recommend using The Grand Avenue Parking Structure which is located directly across from the Performing Arts Center. Campus maps are available on the Cal Poly website (https://afd.calpoly.edu/parking/) and indicate parking kiosks and visitor parking lots other than the Grand Avenue one. Please check in early and allow an extra 15 to 20 minutes to park before your presentation and interviews.
Visitors to Cal Poly can connect to CalPolyGuest to enjoy Wi-Fi access while they’re on campus. To set up the Wi-Fi please visit the following link: https://servicedesk.calpoly.edu/guestwifi
Frequently Asked Recruitment Session Questions
- May I host our Info Session in person on campus?
- Yes, we will offer in-person recruitment sessions and will following the university’s guidance regarding safety measures and event guidelines. Students and guests will be required to wear face coverings during recruitment sessions. Interview spaces will be limited to one room per host company for one recruiter and one student.
- May I host our Info Session virtually?
- Yes you can; however student attendance is better with in-person activities.
- Can I reserve two interview spaces?
- No. At this time, we will only be offering one interview room per company for one recruiter and one student at a time.
- How many Info Sessions can we reserve?
- At this time, we ask that you select one Info Session for the academic year.
- Can I send you an email rather than the online form?
- No, only Info Session requests made via Eventbrite will be seen as valid requests.
- Do I need to pay the $750 registration?
- Registration fees are included in CMAC Founder, Legacy, Mustang and Gold Membership and you should receive a promo code to avoid this charge.
- Can I reserve an Info Session and Meet & Greet in the same quarter?
- No, you will not be eligible to register for a Meet & Greet in the same quarter that you are hosting an Info Session.
- Is a parking pass included with registration?
- No, due to changes to the university policies, guests must purchase parking passes. Here is a helpful link with information on how to obtain a parking pass. We strongly recommend to Uber or Lyft to campus. If not, please allow 20-30 mins when scheduling for the following alternative options.
- Do I need to make an additional payment for a second recruitment session registration?
- Yes, discounts will not be given for a second Info Session or Meet and Greet. If you are a member of CMAC, only one Info Session is included in your benefits.
- How are cancellations handled?
- Due to the popularity of the Recruiting Sessions and the administrative cost of running the program, we do charge for Info Sessions. If you purchased a recruitment session à la carte a 50% cancellation refund is available if cancellation takes place 60 days before the scheduled date and the space is able to be filled.